Accessing employment and education
Since 2003, thousands of people with a disability or mental health condition have found and maintained meaningful work through atWork Australia.
Our NDIS employment services are for Australians with a “finding and keeping a job” funding item in their NDIS plan.
“Grace has been amazing, she’s the best employment advisor I’ve ever had.”
David, NDIS participant
How can we help?
We want to help you reach your employment goals, however long it takes, and we know we can get you there.
Here are some of the ways we can help:
- Work together to identify your skills and interests and brainstorm career options
- Build your confidence and skills in time management and communication
- Discuss the logistics of working (for example, travel arrangements)
- Connect you with training courses or study
- Build your résumé, even if you’ve never worked before
- Find you interesting work experience or volunteer work
- Find you a job that you are ready for and that you want
- Continue to support you once you start work experience or paid work
It’s easy to get started with our NDIS employment and education services
Frequently asked questions
Our NDIS employment services are for NDIS participants in the Perth metro area who have funding for Finding and Keeping a Job – Accessing Employment and Education (line item 10_016_0102_5_3).
The process involves meeting with you to assess your abilities and vocational interests and then we create an individualised plan together.
In a series of one-to-one sessions, we will:
- Explore your interests and skills
- Create or improve your résumé
- Explore transferable skills you could use in many different roles
- Look for possible work placements
- Write cover letters
- Provide interview coaching, and more
We can work to place you with a number of different community organisations or businesses from a large network of connections, depending on your skills and interests.
Our individualised approach means the work placement, whether it is paid, volunteer or work experience, will be a good match for abilities.
Disability Employment Services (DES) assists clients who have the ability to work independently and for greater than eight hours per week.
As an NDIS client, we will help prepare you to do this if you have the capacity to do so, but some participants will remain within the NDIS program if they are unable to meet the requirements to transition to DES.
|Support category name||Support item name||Support item number||Hourly fee|
|Assistance to Access and Maintain Employment or higher education||Individual Employment Support||10_016_0102_5_3||$61.76||Senior Employment Advisor|
|Assistance to Access and Maintain Employment or higher education||Transition Through School And To Further Education||13_030_0102_4_3||$61.76||Senior Employment Advisor|
The first step is understanding if you are eligible to receive NDIS funding:
- Are you permanently disabled or require early intervention to reduce the support you will need in the future?
- Are you under 65 years old?
- Are you living in Australia?
- Are you an Australian citizen or permanent resident?
If you answered yes to all of the above, you may be eligible for NDIS funding. To apply, contact the NDIS directly on 1800 800 110. Alternatively, you can complete an Access Request Form on the NDIS website: www.ndis.gov.au