Health benefits of work
Employment is a powerful tool. It helps to improve the welfare of individuals, families and communities. Put simply, people are generally better off when they’re working. They can pay their bills, support their loved ones and enjoy a sense of contribution to their community.
Meaningful work is essential to the wellbeing of nearly everyone. Work that satisfies you and fulfils a purpose also helps you to:
- Create a sense of personal achievement, identity and purpose
- Add to your superannuation and provide a regular paycheck
- Learn new skills and gain experience
- Be Intellectually challenged
- Progress your career (and earn more money)
- Connect with people and your community
- Have freedom to manage your life, your way
- Improve your financial situation
- Have a reason or purpose to get up every day
- Contribute to something and achieve success
- Improve your mental health
- Build a routine
- Work towards bigger goals
- Find work-life balance
We know the value of employment to an individual’s health and wellbeing. We work hard to:
- Promote the awareness of the health benefits of good work
- Support and encourage those attempting to find and keep meaningful work
- Tailor every job seekers goals to ensure that when they find good work, they can maintain it
- Encourage employers to support the occupational health of their workers
- Enable employers to make positive changes to their workplace through education and training resources
- Advocate for continuous improvement in public policy around work and health
“Thrive through the health benefits of work.”
Learn new skills and gain experience
Connect with new people and your community
Have the freedom to manage your life, your way
Improve your financial situation
Kim was successful in securing an interview at a local café. The employer was impressed with Kim’s determination, persistence, and enthusiasm saying, “Workplace training can be tough, but work ethic and enthusiasm are very hard to come by.”
Kim’s new employer said they look for people who are “confident, determined, and show initiative over skills and experience.”
Kim has now transformed her outlook on life, realising her barriers have nothing to do with her capabilities to work or to be successful in achieving her goals.”
provides a sense of community and social inclusion
allows you to feel you are contributing to your family and society
gives structure to your days and weeks
provides you with financial security
The evidence is compelling: for most individuals, working improves general health and wellbeing, and reduces psychological distress.
Stable secure employment is a life-changing experience for some people who were able to move out of social housing into private rentals or achieve their goals of studying at TAFE or university.
Do you want to re-skill for an exciting and engaging new career?
We can help access courses, training and tickets to get you where you want to be; thriving through the health benefits of good work. We believe work’s for everyone.
Do you want to thrive through employment? Realise the health benefits of work today.
We are a signatory to the Health Benefits of Good Work consensus statement. At the heart of this consensus statement is a shared desire to improve the welfare of individuals, families and communities.
Read more about the science behind work being good for you (PDF Document).
Call us on 1300080856 today to speak with one of our employment specialists and realise the health benefits of work today.