We support people with depression, anxiety and other mental health conditions into meaningful work
What is mental health?
Mental health is emotional, psychological, and social wellbeing. It affects how individuals think, feel and act.
- Almost 45 per cent of Australians will experience a mental health condition in their lifetime
- The most common conditions are depression, anxiety and substance abuse
We know the importance of good mental health and a mentally healthy workplace, and how mental health can be improved through work. We also know the benefits good work can have on people with mental health conditions, and how unemployment can influence poorer mental health outcomes.
Through our work, we’re helping people with mental health conditions to improve their lives through employment. Read more about atWork Australia’s Disability Employment Services here.
Work is good for health and wellbeing
We know that people with mental health conditions can work, and we know the profound impact work has, not only on their individual mental health, but the wellbeing of their family, friends, and the wider community.
Research has shown:
- Employment prevents psychiatric morbidity as employed people have lower psychiatric morbidity scores
- Long-term work absence, work disability and unemployment have a negative impact on health and wellbeing
- Good quality employment is good for improving mental health
- Re-entering the workforce can aid recovery and shorten the duration of treatment
- Work is a therapeutic intervention; it aids in the treatment of mental health conditions
- Employment can decrease the risk of depression and improves general mental health
Read more about the health benefits of work here.
How do we help people with mental health conditions find good work?
atWork Australia knows that one size doesn’t fit all when it comes to finding a job, and this applies when you live with a mental health condition. That’s why we offer many different ways to support people with mental health conditions find good work.
A dedicated Job Coach
You’ll be partnered with a Job Coach there for you from start to finish, focusing on building capability, increasing motivation and providing support to gain sustainable careers. We get to know you, how we can best help you, and what job would suit you best. We’re there with you as you meet your training, life and employment goals
We developed our own health and wellbeing program, which features an online assessment with interactive modules, and an individualised wellbeing coaching program. Positivum™ helps us to understand the beliefs and perceptions that may be a barrier to employment, and the health coaching program aims to address these.
Access to in-house allied health professionals
Access to our in-house allied health expertise (including psychologists and physiotherapists), should you need extra support.
Access to employers who are ready to hire
We work with employers to promote the benefits of employing people with disability, building a solid business case and the confidence to do so.
Support once you start working
Depending on our client’s needs, we’ll continue to support them for 52 weeks post-placement support, ongoing support, or on the job support. This is individually tailored to the specific needs and goals of our clients.
We’ve been helping Australians find good work since 2003. Many of our clients come to atWork Australia looking for work while living with mental health conditions. Rochelle and Samantha are two examples of clients with mental health conditions who have changed their lives by finding good work with the right employer.
- Rochelle came to atWork Australia looking for work. She was recovering from a long-term drug dependency and living in a rehabilitation facility. She now leads a team in the contact centre as a Senior Contact Officer employed with atWork Australia.
- Samantha came to atWork Australia with a mental health condition. We helped her find good work. “My life is now on the up and can only get better.”
Read more of our success stories here.
We have 36 offices where we are Disability Employment Services (DES) mental health specialist providers:
- Box Hill
- Elizabeth South
- Fortitude Valley
- Glen Waverley
- Osborne Park / Herdsman
- Mount Hawthorn
- North Melbourne
- North Ryde
- South Melbourne
- South Yarra
- Stones Corner
- Upper Mount Gravatt
- Victoria Park