What is Workforce Australia?
Workforce Australia is the new employment service delivered by the Australian Government, Department of Education, Skills and Employment.
Workforce Australia provides access to government employment and skills services, helping Australians to find and keep a job, change jobs or create their own job. You can use Workforce Australia to manage your job search and reporting requirements online and services delivered by a Workforce Australia provider such as atWork Australia.
Find out more here https://www.dese.gov.au/workforce-australia or phone the National Customer Service Line on 1800 805 260.
How does it work?
If you’re ready to start looking for work, and are with Centrelink, you may be placed into a new online Digital Service or you may be referred to an Employment Services Provider.
Workforce Australia online provides information and tools to help you look for work, change jobs or plan for a future career change. It gives you the flexibility to manage your job search and reporting requirements yourself on the online platform. You will have access to:
- resume tools, online learning and professional career guidance
- a jobs board with skills matching and links to training and other programs
- a dedicated Digital Services contact centre to support you
If you find you need extra support beyond the online service, you can request to be transferred to an employment service provider such as atWork Australia.
The Points Based Activation System (PBAS) – a flexible approach to meeting your mutual obligation requirements
The Points Based Activation System is a flexible way you can meet your obligations, including options to develop skills and take advantage of job opportunities.
You will need to get a certain number of points per reporting period (a month). Points are gained by completing job searches, attending interviews, and completing online learning modules. This gives you greater personal responsibility and choice in how you will manage your mutual obligations.
It’s tailored to you, and when you first meet with your Job Coach, you will find out what your points target will be based on your personal circumstances. The maximum number of points is 100 per month however you may have a lower target based on your circumstances.
This way you can meet your obligations by not only applying for roles but by building on yourself to support you to be job ready. That’s where we can help! We have a range of supports tailored to you, all designed to help you meet your points targets and reach your work and life goals.
What sorts of activities/services can help me gain my points?
With atWork Australia we have a range of activities and services to support you to reach your employment goals.
- Health and Wellness services to help you focus on your wellbeing. With support to build your confidence, and help with concerns such as anxiety, depression, alcohol and substance abuse, grief and trauma. We also support with wellbeing and mindfulness and employability soft skill coaching. Our qualified team of Health and Wellness Professionals will empower you to prioritise your overall health and wellbeing.
- Jobs Now is our preparation program to help you develop skills, experience and knowledge so you can move more quickly towards employment. You will meet with your peers to gain support and share tips while learning how to market yourself and practice interview skills.
- Positivum. Developed in partnership with Monash University, Positivum is our online health and well-being training program to help address beliefs and perceptions relating to health and work. It’s a self-guided coaching program to help prepare you for work.
- Community Hubs to bring the services you need to you. Attending one of our community hubs can help you gain points while introducing you to the services you may need to support you on your journey to employment. This includes meeting with potential employers or the transport department to help you with your license.
These are just a few examples of the flexible ways you can earn points in addition to apply and searching for work. We will help you understand the Points Based Activation System and how it will support you to get where you want to be.
How can atWork Australia support me with Workforce Australia?
If you have been allocated to atWork Australia, we look forward to meeting with you at your first appointment. Here we can answer any further questions you have and guide you through every step of the process. Our goal is to connect you with the right employer, so you can thrive. Via our range of support services, tailored to you and your goals and skills, we are here for you every step of the way.
Still need more information? Visit dese.gov.au/workforce-australia
Chat with us on Live Chat or call us on 1300 080 856